December 04, 2013

4th of December: Decoupage tables

I haven't done any decoupage projects for a while, but now it's time for an other one. We had these sofa tables at our home a few years ago, and because I never want to throw anything away, I saved them and moved them with us to the Netherlands. We didn't really treat them well and the surface of the tables became scratchy and quite awful. I sand papered them already earlier in Finland, and now I just had to decide what kind of style would suit them.

One of my favourite materials for decoupage projects is old book pages. This was the first time that I decided to use only text parts of the pages and leave all the pictures for later use. The book I used is about Finnish authors, and I think it's wonderful to have handwriting of some of the most famous authors in Finland, on these tables.

This time I didn't have decoupage lacquer, and didn't really feel like buying some. I decided to experiment with normal glue and water. It was a bit tricky to get the right amount of glue and the right amount of water. I got a few air bubbles under the pages, but I won't let them bother me. I recommend using decoupage lacquer instead of mixing your own from glue and water, especially if you don't have a lot of experience in decoupage works.

After the pages are attached to the table surface, it's time to let them dry. And when the pages are dry, it's time to use furniture varnish. For these tables I applied three layers, but I'm not sure if it's enough. On normal wooden surfaces three layers would be plenty, but on decoupage objects, you might have to add even more layers.

More inspiration for decoupage projects, you can find on my earlier posts:
A New LifeMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Decoupage.

Have a great Wednesday!








No comments:

Post a Comment